I roasted a whole thing of chicken today. What's the occasion?
Laziness
Today I felt like cooking chicken, so I thawed a whole of chicken before I went for class this morning. Coming back from it, I pondering about what dish of chicken should I cook today. Looking at this heap of massive thawed chicken in my kitchen, I sighed, imagining how much work I need to put into cooking this thing before I could finally enjoy it. Considering the fact that it is still whole. I usually order chopped pieces of chicken from my butcher because they are easier to cook. However this time Ibrahim mixed up the order and gave me a whole chicken.
Then an idea struck me. Why not cook 'em whole?
Brilliant eh? Typical lazy college senior attitude. Haha. So I got to work. After much research on the internet, I found that it is surprisingly easy to roast a chicken. I simply preheat the oven, prep the pan, baste the chicken with whatever herbs I can find in my kitchen, tie them up neat, set it nicely on the pan, shove it in the oven and let that baby sit for about 4 hours.
The result: A huge chunk of protein-rich deliciousness. The chicken was so moist, I coud barely control myself. The aroma from the herb was just pure awesomeness. I dug right in.
The meat was so tender it literally falls of the bone. I couldn't pickup the whole thigh without ruining them. It is so tender and moist, I could practically eat the whole chicken with a chopstick, (which I did :D).
Oh did I mention how crispy the skins are? It was crispy as crispy could get; and crunchy too. I could chaw through the wings with the bones on no problem. Scrumptious!
Oh and I also shoved in a good amount of baby-cut carrot in the cavity for good measures. Ample supply of vitamin A goodness! Yum!
Best part about it, roasted chicken leftover are the best. You could put it in everything: sandwich, soup, porridge, etc. Perfect for lazy cooker like myself. Haha. And when I'm all done, that skeleton should make a pretty kickass broth. Hooray for thrifty cooking! Yey!
This ought to last me for about a week, given I know how to control my eating.
This is probably one of the top dish I cooked that have a high deliciousness to effort ratio. So delighted. It's a thing of beauty.
p/s: Have you seen Alex Clare's Too Close music video? It have kendo fight scene it. So much awesome. Even though it doesn't conform to kendo teaching, it is still pretty awesome. Gosh I miss kendo.
Syazwi Mazli was enjoying a grand feast of chicken that day.
you. cooked. that. thing. ?. fuuuu respect!
ReplyDeleteyup. yup. it's actually easier than you think. hahaha.
ReplyDeleteGilaaaaaaaa meleleh air liur tgk... Nom nom nom
ReplyDeleteHehehe. Seminggu kot aku dapat makan ayam hari tu!
ReplyDelete