
Since english class finished early today, I decided to lepak down here in the library's cafeteria for a moment while revising my english essay draft. Suddenly, I saw an elder lady, with an apron on, carrying around a tray full of purple cupcakes. I thought she was trying to finish the old batch of cupcakes for a cheaper price so I ignore her since I was not really in the mood for snacking. Suddenly she approached me and said "Do you want some of the cupcake?". While I was putting together appropriate words for a polite refusal, she continued "Today we are celebrating Helen C. White birthday!"
"Owh." Stumbled, I took one.
In case many of you are wondering, Helen C. White was one of the most revered academician in the history of UW Madison. She was loved by many. Her work on metaphysical poetry had gained her great credibility and respect. Almost every Badgers (UW students) recognize her. For one obvious reason, she got a building named after her!; namely, the Helen C. White Hall. It is also known as the College Library or the English Department Building - it really is suiting for a woman of her caliber and background. One of her graduate student wrote a very interesting memoir of her. This particular student looked up to her as if she was her ultimate hero. I would suggest you have a read. It really is an interesting write.
After I secure the biggest cupcake on the tray, the lady then passed my table and moved to the table behind me. While I was getting overly delighted over a free good-looking cupcake, I overheard the the lady conversing with the person behind me "Purple was her favorite color." I was struck, for a short while. It kinda tickled my brain. Not that I like purple, anymore, I just found it amusingly intriguing why the lady spoke of it as if it was a significance (to the extend that she, as people of this age, knows about it), so I decided to google and researched about White. (yes, i am a fond user of google, thank you ^_^). To my surprise, it is a big deal. She loves purple. I mean LOVES purple. She adores it so much that she wore it almost every single day. You probably knew that if you have already read the memoir. But here's the good part. On some other articles, they cited White's exact words that she does not like the color black. Bingo! That's the irony.
Irony how? Take a look at the cupcake :)
White's birthday is not exactly today. It was Nov 26th, which happened to be on the thanksgiving day this year. I believe that must had happened a couple of times when she was still alive. She must be really happy when it did.
woh...college library actually has a cafe?
ReplyDeletehaha. is that a '"pretend-pretend-don't-know" comment or you're really saying you never been to college library? :)
ReplyDeletei only went into a room in the library and that's all...i don't wander around...one way in, one way out...
ReplyDelete