Sunday, February 07, 2010

Mendota; What you can possibly do on Lake Mendota during the winter?


Grabbed from arthur1227 from Flickr.com.
(Dude, if you are reading this, I am also a Minolta person!)



University of Wisconsin a great school to be studying in. Being one of the university town in the States, there are a lot of things to love about it. The glorious Bascom Hill, the freaky friday nights on Langdon St., the exciting football seasons, the cool marching bands, the Unrefined & the Madhatters and not to forget, the ever so awesome Bucky Badger! (I bought the documentary!). But one awesome thing I really want to tell you guys today is Lake Mendota.

Lake Mendota is a very beautiful body of water. It stretches about 5 miles east-west and 4 miles north of the heart of Madison. The shore is a great place to be in. During fall, you can see people hanging around the lakeside picnicking, chilling out with friends, reading books, feeding wild duck, having lunch near Memorial Union or just kicking it on the shores of Mendota.

But at this time of the year, just what you can possibly do with the lake when it is frozen beyond the freezing point of water?

Actually, there are plenty!



1. Ice fishing
First off, for you fishing-lovers out there, one of the many things you can do would be to go ice fishing. Bring a giant drill, some good rods, baits, a chair and viola! you have your own hole to fish in. LOL. It is a good idea to bring a tent and a couple of friends with. Also, pack yourself some munchies for an ice picnic. You couldn't possibly stomach frozen sushi's for the whole day!



These guys look like modern day Inuits to me.



2. Snow Mobile
For those of you who love excitement and the sensation of adrenaline rushing through your veins, you might want to try driving a snow mobile around! Get one of this bad ass and go around traversing the rough terrain of the extreme climate.

These are the track of the snowmobile, which I didn't manage to get a picture of.

This isn't exactly the snowmobile I am talking about. but hey, it is mobile and it works on snow! LOL. The one I saw was a lot faster and a lot meaner.



3. Ice Skiing
If snow mobile is too much of an excitement for you (or too much of a cost!), you could probably spare a few dollars and purchase your own set of skiing equipment. What you want to do with them? Put 'em on and glide through the frozen surface of Mendota! Yes, you can actually ski on a flat surface without any slope or hills like Lake Mendota. I saw a pakcik did it once but didn't got the chance to meet (and interview) him. I didn't manage to snap a picture of him too because he was too damn fast! Despite all odd, I did get a snapshot of his ski trail though. so, Yipee!

This is an actual footage of the ski trail of that pakcik. Notice a snow print on the top-right corner of the picture. That is the ski pole marking.



4. Ice Skating
An alternative to ice skiing would be ice skating. It works about the same. I didn't have any picture of people skating so I grabbed one from the internet.

Grabbed from Zen and the Art of Speedskating



5. Ice Cycling
I have never expect this one. I saw this dude on a bicycle cycling through Lake Mendota and it just blew my face right off. kapoww! Who would have thought you can cycle on ice! That is freaking awesome!

This dude was pretty hard to catch.

He got so far in just a sec.

And there he goes.


6. Snow Stroll
If you are not a thrill-junkie type of person, you can always take a nice stroll on the snow covered lake. The feeling of walking on a frozen lake felt almost exactly like walking on the side of the beach. The only different is there no body of water you can walk along by, you are walking on it! Stepping on thick snow felt just like stepping on sand, only a lot colder. Be sure to wear a water-proof boot and thick socks, and a water-proof jacket too because it is hard to resist making a snow angel when there is snow this thick!

My foot trail.

Some random dude.



7. Snow Chilling
If walking around is still too much for you, you can always just sit around in the snow. Yes, sit. you can do that at no cost at all. LOL. To make it even better, bring yourself a comfortably solid chair and have a bunch of friends to come with. Now, that is what I call 'chilling'. Wisconsin-style! U-rah-rah!

Chillin'. yeah.

Roundhouse!






The next thing I would really want to add to this list is: ice soccer! If somebody actually pulled it off, that would be so freaking awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment