You know what would be the next great (if not, helpful) innovation of the internet? A search engine that tells us what language a word came from.
My web surfing journey had usually brought me to various kind of website across the globe. A small fraction of it is foreign to me, simply by the fact that they use a language that isn't familiar. More often, they are sufficed with (dot)com or (dot)net, so, I couldn't really tell which country it came from. I usually gotten frustrated because naturally, I want to know the content on the website. I usually resort to asking a friend if they have any idea. the usually reply would be: "try translating it on google". yeah, that's a great idea, but, how do I translate it when I don't even know what language the words from?
If a search engine as I said earlier would exist, it would help me, who a lot of other people too, who are trapped in this kind of situation. Furthermore, not only that it would be good for acquiring foreign information on a commercial level, but it is also a great learning tool. It will help people to have a broader knowledge on languages by learning words from languages that are foreign to them.
How? For example, one word could coexist in two or more languages. These are called a bi-lingual words or multi-lingual words. For example, the word 'amok' is a legitimate English word, so does it is a word in Malay language (shoutout: "cikgu naziah! i still remember what you have taught me!" :) ). This kind of learning really does expands our knowledge.
Another thing about multi-lingual words, it doesn't usually posses the same meaning in one language as it does in another. For example, the word 'bisa' coexist in several languages in southeastern Asian countries. If you ask a Malaysian "What does the word 'bisa' means?", they would quickly reply "It means 'poison'." But, if you are traveling to Indonesia, you will (and I assure you, you will) hear the word 'bisa' in almost every conversation, time and time again. Why is that so? Does Indonesian talk about poison that often? No, not really. But unless they make a living out of pharmaceutical, they might be. Don't be surprise, because, the word 'bisa' in Indonesian actually carries the meaning of 'able' or 'capable' (in the form of 'am/is/are able' to be precise). And this is true over the fact that Malaysia and Indonesia are adjacent to each other geographically.
Yes, if this innovation is invented, I do think it would facilitate the process of learning, increase knowledge availability and not to mention exponentially enhances the ability of information transfer. Googler, take notice! (and by Googler, I mean the people who work at Google, not just those who use Google. It is an unofficial vocabulary and could mean both, so do take note)
No comments:
Post a Comment